Homemade plant milk and its benefits
Jun 07, 2015
Making your own non-dairy milk has many benefits and is not at all a laborious task. It is true that in the organic market you will find numerous options, good tasting and healthy, but by making your own plant-based milk you avoid the BPA that is in the Tetra Paks, and you get a fresh and live food, known as RAW (raw) when you use the raw raw material. It is a perfect substitute for animal milk for those who have lactose intolerance, for vegetarians, vegans or simply for those who appreciate light digestion. To make vegetable milk there are two options, one in which the raw material is cooked -especially oatmeal, rice, quinoa...- and another in which the raw material is "activated" by soaking it for 12 hours, as is the case with seeds and nuts, but also cereals. Today we choose the recipe and benefits of oat milk raw to make the most of the nutrients that are lost when cooking with heat. For make 1 liter of vegetable milk of oats you will need
- 1 cup raw oatmeal (not instant)
- 4 cups mineral water, depending on how thick you want the milk to be
- Honey, stevia, agave…or no sweetener.
- a pinch of salt
- Optional: soaked almonds, a little cinnamon, or a banana to add flavor
- The night before we will leave the oats to soak, covered with water.
- The next day we drain well and take to the blender.
- Add the water you want. With 4 cups you get a medium consistency.
- Add the sweetener you want and the salt.
- The ingredients must be very fine and homogeneous when you process them in the blender.
- Strain the shake into a bag for non-dairy milk or a fine cloth placed inside the strainer. Store it in a glass bottle in the fridge and consume it within two or three days.
- The excess oats can be used to make cookies, cakes, and other preparations.
The procedure for making milk from seeds or nuts is very similar. It is advisable to vary the raw material to obtain a balance of benefits and nutrients, since oats are not the same as millet or hazelnuts. Undoubtedly the greatest benefit of making your homemade plant-based milk is that you can control the quality of the raw material, its packaging, and its flavor. Then you can mix it with cocoa, vanilla, fruit, and achieve delicious and nutritious shakes, desserts, or meals that will help you get through the day with energy.